Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Neuro appointment

Just yesterday I wrote about choosing joy and today was one of those days that I really needed to remind myself to do just that. We had a follow-up neurology appointment this morning to go over Jackson's most recent EEG.

I honestly thought that this EEG would come back normal since Jackson had an EEG in March which came back normal, but recently we started seeing a neurologist at Children's Memorial in South Bend and she wanted a repeat EEG. Jackson has had a few episodes that appear to be seizure-like in the last 9 months. About 3 times Jackson has spaced out for a few seconds and then becomes lethargic and will sleep for about the next three hours. I did feel that Jackson was having a small seizure during these times, but really felt that the EEG would be normal once again. However, the EEG did show seizure activity on the left side of his brain. Since it is only occuring on one side of the brain it is called a partial seizure and we do need to start him on anti-seizure medication for it.

I honestly was so sad to hear this and just thought, "Why God, do you really need to give us something else to worry about?" I hate the thought of trying to find the right medication for Jackson that will not make him lethargic or alter his personality. I was SO hoping that we would not need to put him on medication, but now I know that we need to. So tomorrow, as long as Jackson labs come back normal, we will be starting him on anti-seizure medication. Pray that he has few to no side effects and that we will be able to find the right medication for him.

As we were leaving the doctors office I told Jackson to say goodbye to the doctor and he blew her a kiss. That melted my heart. I am so thankful for my sweet little guy and I will not let this get me down. So once again I will choose joy and be extremely thankful for the gift of Jackson!

No comments:

Post a Comment